BREAKING: "Active Shooter" Wounds Seven At Ohio State

Developing:

An alert was issued for an active shooter on Ohio State University’s Campus, Monday morning.

Ohio State University Police sent the alert at about 9:56am.

The alert said, “Buckeye Alert: Active Shooter on campus. Run Hide Fight. Watts Hall. 19th and College.”

Police are telling people to shelter in place and avoid the area of College Road north. At least one person was transported to a local hospital.

Watts Hall is the Material Science and Engineering building for campus.

The Lantern is the student newspaper for Ohio State.

According to NBC4, there have been seven people transported to area hospitals. This number was confirmed by Columbus, Ohio police scanner traffic. Of the seven, only one is in critical condition.

Ohio State released a video last year espousing a “Run/Hide/Fight” philosophy for students, faculty, and staff.

Effective self-defense is unfortunately illegal at Ohio State, where campus carry by qualified citizens is illegal. The campus is a “gun free zone,” except for the active shooter.

92% of all mass shooting since 2009 have been carried out in so-called “gun free zones.”

Update: NBC4 is now reporting that one suspected shooter is dead, and that there are nine victims being treated.

Police confirm the suspect involved in an active shooter situation on the campus of The Ohio State University is now dead. Nine victims are currently being treated.

Columbus fire officials tell NBC4 eight people were transported to local hospitals. Seven of those victims are in stable condition and one victim is in critical condition. A ninth victim is being treated on scene and may or may not be transported to the hospital.

It’s an amazing bit of good news that there are no confirmed fatalities and only one victim in critical condition. This suggests a small caliber firearm, horrible marksmanship by an unskilled attempted mass murderer, or both.

Update: There was no mass shooting.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member