Yes, an Obama DOJ memo says ban will not work without gun registration, confiscation

Fears of gun registration and confiscation have run rampant since Barack Obama assumed the Presidency and appointed Eric Holder as Attorney General, and now we can confirm that those fears were well founded.

Red Flag News posted the following in February:

The National Rifle Association has obtained a Department of Justice memo calling for national gun registration and confiscation. The nine page “cursory summary” on current gun control initiatives was not officially released by the Obama administration.

The DOJ memo (downloadable here as a PDF) states the administration “believes that a gun ban will not work without mandatory gun confiscation,” according to the NRA, and thinks universal background checks “won’t work without requiring national gun registration.” Obama has yet to publicly support national registration or firearms confiscation, although the memo reveals his administration is moving in that direction.

an wiThe memo stands in stark contrast to the administration’s public stance on so-called gun control. White House spokesman Jay Carney said last month that laws proposed by Obama would not “take away a gun from a single law-abiding American.”

The NRA declined to explain how it obtained the document. The memo was written by the acting director of the Justice Department’s National Institute of Justice, Greg Ridgeway. It is dated January 4, two weeks before Obama mounted his attack on the Second Amendment following the Sandy Hook massacre. Ridgeway came to the Justice Department from the RAND corporation.

NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam confirmed to Bearing Arms today that the DOJ memo is legitimate.

That the Administration is even considering such steps is troubling, to put it mildly.

Update: corrected headline to be more accurate.

Tags:

90 Comments

Leave a Reply