Hostages Taken During Louisiana Store Shooting

A man crashed a Nissan Altima through the front door of a Louisiana convenience store, shot three people including a law enforcement officer, and has now barricaded himself inside the building:

Law enforcement is responding to reports that multiple people and an officer have been shot in Sunset, Louisiana in St. Landry Parish.

A law enforcement source says the suspected shooter is barricaded inside a mini-mart and a standoff is underway.

Sunset Police have confirmed that one of their police officers was shot. Some of the victims have been transported by Acadian Ambulance from a location on Anna Street.

Sources say there are several ambulances and helicopters in the area as there may be “multiple scenes.” The officer was transported via helicopter to a hospital.

Several law enforcement agencies are at the scene and the alleged gunman has barricaded himself inside a convenience store on Hwy 93.

Louisiana group blog The Hayride is relaying reports that there are up to eight hostages inside the store, which has now been surrounded by heavily armed tactical officers from the Louisiana State Police.

Officers are attempting to convince the hostage taker to surrender.

We’ll have more as the situation develops.

Update: Bad news. Two of those injured by the attacker have died.

The officer who was allegedly shot by a suspect and one of the stabbing victims have died in Sunset, Louisiana.

The two people allegedly stabbed by a suspected shooter Wednesday in Sunset, Louisiana are sisters of Grand Coteau Interim Mayor Shaterral Johnson. Both Shameka Johnson and Officer Henry Nelson died Wednesday evening.

The alleged gunman, later identified as Harrison Lee Wiley Jr., is in custody after barricaded himself inside an mini-mart on Hwy 93 during a standoff took place for less than two hours.

St. Landry Parish Sheriff Bobby Guidroz said that deputies made entry into the Exxon Mini Mart. The suspect had barricaded himself inside an office in the mini-mart but was eventually apprehended around 6:25 p.m.

Earlier claims of hostages turned out to be a false alarm; all people inside the store were able escape before Wiley barricaded himself inside the store’s office.