There are multiple confirmed killed and more people wounded in a mass killing in a Canadian mosque by men who shouted “Allahu akbar!” before opening fire.

Five people are dead after shots were fired inside a Quebec City mosque during evening prayers on Sunday night.

Multiple people are also feared wounded. Their condition is not known at this time.

A few dozen people were inside the Islamic cultural centre of Quebec in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood when the shooting began just after 8 p.m.

Quebec City Police Constable Étienne Doyon said mostly men were gathered at the mosque for evening prayers.

Two suspects have been arrested, one of whom was apprehended after a chase that ended near l’île d’Orléans.

A large perimeter has been set up around the mosque.

A witness, who asked to remain anonymous, told CBC’s French-language service Radio-Canada that two masked individuals entered the mosque.

“It seemed to me that they had a Quebecois accent. They started to fire, and as they shot they yelled, ‘Allahu akbar!’ The bullets hit people that were praying. People who were praying lost their lives. A bullet passed right over my head,” said the witness.

“There were even kids. There was even a three-year-old who was with his father.”

Other accounts suggest that there could have been as many as three gunmen in the attack on the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec. Two suspects were taken into custody by police, but no information has been released about them at this time.  Somewhere around 40 worshippers were in evening prayer when the attack was launched.

Bystander video has been released outside of the mosque after eh shooting, but it unfortunately doesn’t provide us with any real information.

The shooting is being treated by police as a terrorist attack.

The usual suspects are already quick to find a scapegoat for the attack.

A distinctive Quebecois accent would seem to rule out foreign nationals as the source of the attack, and suggests that the attack was probably the work of anti-Muslim Canadian radicals ironically shouting “Allahu akbar!” before opening fire, perhaps in an attempt to mislead people into thinking other Muslims were responsible for the attack.