Wife Releases Video She Recorded Of Keith Lamont Scott's Shooting

Keith Lamont Scott’s wife Rakeyia Scott used her cell phone camera to film the moments leading up to and just after her husband’s shooting by Charlotte-Mecklenberg Police officers earlier this week that led to riots in North Carolina’s largest city.

The moment Officer Brentley Vinson fired what appears to be four shots at Scott was obscured by the arrival of a CMPD SUV moments before the shooting.

The video shows officers telling Scott 11 times over 45 seconds to drop a gun and come out of his truck, but doesn’t give us a view that would help us determine whether or not he had a gun in his possession at the time he was shot.

Another witness to the shooting took a now widely-circulated photograph that was taken some time after the end of the released Rakeyia Scott video which suggests he was in possession of a small, single-stack semi-automatic pistol. He was also reported to have been wearing an ankle holster.


Mrs. Scott and other members of family were shown two videos of the confrontation and shooting filmed by CMPD cameras. The family says that the  video does not definitively show what was in his hands at the time that he was shot, if anything.

The family still maintains that Mr. Scott did not own or carry a gun, and portrays him as a calm and loving family man.

All of that may be true, but Scott was also a convicted felon also has a multi-decade history of violence with weapons.

A public records search shows that Scott was convicted in April 2004 of a misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon charge in Mecklenburg County. Other charges stemming from that date were dismissed: felony assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, and misdemeanors assault on a child under 12, assault on a female and communicating threats.

In April 2015 in Gaston County Court, Scott was found guilty of driving while intoxicated.

In 1992, Scott was charged in Charleston County, S.C., with several different crimes on different dates, including carrying a concealed weapon (not a gun), simple assault and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He pleaded guilty to all charges.

Scott also was charged with aggravated assault in 1992 and assault with intent to kill in 1995. Both charges were reduced, but the disposition of the cases is unclear.

According to Bexar County, Texas, records, Scott was sentenced in March 2005 to 15 months in a state jail for evading arrest. In July of that year, records show, he was sentenced to seven years in prison on a conviction of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. A Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman said Scott completed his sentence and was released from prison in 2011.

The formal investigation into Scott’s shooting is on-going, but authorities seem to have definitively linked the gun recovered to Mr. Scott.

The gun police say they recovered from the scene of Scott’s shooting was loaded, a source close to the investigation told CNN. The source said investigators recovered from the weapon fingerprints, blood and DNA that matched with Scott. The source said the blood most likely got on the gun after the shooting.