At least two home invasions in the state of Louisiana have been thwarted in recent days by armed citizens acting in self-defense, though neither case has received any national attention.
In the most recent case, authorities in Baton Rouge say that one home invader was killed when he burst into an occupied home late Monday night.
According to a representative with the Baton Rouge Police Department (BRPD), 20-year-old Marcus Hayes Jr. was allegedly committing an armed robbery at a home in the 900 block of West McKinley Street around 11:10 p.m., Monday.
Six people were apparently home during the incident and police say one of them grabbed a gun and shot Hayes.
Officials say Hayes died at the scene of the crime.
Police say during the home invasion, two of the robbery victims were also shot and sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
Police found another individual with a gunshot wound to the stomach a few blocks away from the scene of the home invasion, but so far haven’t said if the teenager is a suspect or a victim in the attack.
Meanwhile, authorities in Monroe, Louisiana have arrested a second suspect believed to be involved in a home invasion that happened on October 11th. 21-year old Rodney Darrell Mitchell’s been booked into the Ouachita Correctional Center on charges of aggravated burglary and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Police say that Mitchell was one of three men who forced their way into a home and assaulted a male resident. A woman inside the home woke up hearing the commotion and grabbed her gun.
She saw the male resident struggling with two unknown armed men. One was wearing a light gray hoodie, and one was wearing a dark hoodie and light blue jeans. She said the latter pointed a gun at her.
She fired multiple rounds and heard one man say “Aw, she shot me.”
According to the woman, a third suspect standing in the front hallway of the home “in shock” took off running with his fellow home invaders, and the three sped away before police could arrive. A short time later, however, authorities received reports of a man suffering a gunshot wound who was at a local hospital.
Emergency room staff told officers that Jeffrey W. Williams Jr., 19, told them he was hanging out on the eastside of Monroe with friends when someone drove by shooting at them.
The responding officer noted that Williams’ clothing matched the description from the home invasion.
At the hospital, Monroe police interviewed Williams, who was reportedly alert. He said he and another man entered the home and demanded money at gunpoint.
He said when the woman came into the living room, she fired two or three shots at them, and he noticed he was shot in the abdomen as he fled the residence.
The man who also entered the home reportedly drove Williams to the hospital and dropped him at the emergency room.
Once Williams was released from the hospital he was booked into the local jail on $100,000 bond. The third suspect remains unidentified, at least publicly, and so far there’s been no word of his arrest.
The Monroe home invasion is a perfect example of why laws banning ammunition magazines that can hold more than ten rounds are a bad idea. How dare politicians tell this woman who confronted three armed suspects in her home that she should not only be outnumbered, but outgunned as well. If anti-gun politicians like Joe Biden get their way, it’s entirely possible that a person acting in self-defense while using an unregistered “large capacity magazine” would actually face more time behind bars than the home invaders themselves, perverting not only our right of self-defense but the idea of justice itself.