UPDATE: Cody Wilson, Man Behind 3-D Printed Firearms, Arrested In Taiwan

Cody Wilson via AP


After being arrested in Taiwan on charges of sexually assaulting a minor, Cody Wilson, the man behind the 3-D printed firearm and owner of Defense Distributed, is back in the U.S. On Sunday, according to reporting from CBS 11 News, Mr. Wilson was booked in a Houston jail but released on a $150,000 bail that evening.

As Bearing Arms reported last week, Mr. Wilson is facing a maximum of 20 years in prison if convicted.


Reports surfaced on Wednesday that Defense Distributed’s Cody Wilson–the man behind the 3-D printed firearm who’s in a legal battle with several states to distribute his blueprints on the internet–was wanted for the sexual assault of minor who he paid for sex.

Mr. Wilson has now been arrested, but not by U.S. authorities.

According to a report from Fox News and the Associated Press (AP), Mr. Wilson was arrested in Taiwan after U.S. officials learned of his whereabouts. Officials revoked his passport, allowing Taiwanese officials to take him into custody. According to Fox, authorities say they will not question Mr. Wilson until Saturday.

Here’s more on the story (via Fox and the AP):

Wilson was arrested in a hotel in Taipei’s Wanhua District, said the government official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. He arrived in Taiwan on Sept. 6 using his real passport. The U.S. revoked his passport after they realized he was in Taiwan, which is why Taiwanese officials were able to arrest him, the official said.

Wilson was alone at the time of his arrest and was very cooperative, the official said. He didn’t have any weapons on him at the time of his arrest. Authorities won’t question him until Saturday.

Austin police Cmdr. Troy Officer told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the department was working with national and international law enforcement to locate Wilson, who missed a scheduled flight back to the U.S. from Taiwan. Officials said a friend of the girl told Wilson before he left for Taiwan that police were investigating the allegation against him.

Initial reports did not give the age of the girl that Mr. Wilson allegedly assaulted, but the police affidavit did say she was a minor under the age of 17. Cmdr. Officer told the AP that the girl is 16-years-old.

Another development: investigators found out that the hotel room where the girl alleges the assault happened was registered under Mr. Wilson’s name.

According to Texas Age of Consent Laws, the age of consent refers to “the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity,” is 17-years-old. Because the alleged victim and accuser is 16-years-old, officials can prosecute Mr. Wilson for statutory rape.

Under Texas law, statutory rape is broken up into three different categories: aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault, and indecency with a child.

It seems the category of sexual assault would apply in this case. If convicted, Mr. Wilson faces a minimum of two years in prison with a maximum sentence of 20 years. He could also be fined $100,000 for his crime and would be required to register as a sex offender.