When it comes to the American left, it looks more and more like a case of “if it weren’t for double standards, they’d have no standards at all.”
You see, when the left decides to protest, any counter-protest is spun as being some kind of personal attack on liberals. That is if the media bothers to acknowledge the counter-protest at all.
Now, though, some on the right are gearing up for a protest in Washington, D.C. So is the counter-protest.
A counterprotest has been organized against the “Million MAGA March” promoted by far-right groups such as the Proud Boys, which is due to take place in Washington, D.C. on Saturday.
The Refuse Fascism group said it would demonstrate against the “MAGA mobs” who will be in the capital over the weekend to show support for President Donald Trump as he continues to claim that Democrats have “stolen” the election.
As well as the Million MAGA March due to be attended by members of the far-right, other rallies including “Stop the Steal” and “March for Trump” will take place this Saturday at midday at Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C.
It is unclear how many will be in attendance at the pro-Trump rallies, but high-profile names such as Fox News’ Sean Hannity and Infowars host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones have promoted the events.
Refuse Fascism said it would be non-violently protesting the Million MAGA March from about 11:30 a.m. at Freedom Plaza.
The group will stage similar demonstrations in cities such as Boston, Chicago, New York and Los Angeles, in defiance of Trump’s claim that he won the election and not Joe Biden
The problem I have with this is that groups like Refuse Fascism–any group, really–should want any potential questions about the validity of the election answered. After all, they spent four years claiming the 2016 election had been stolen because the electoral college didn’t work in Clinton’s favor despite the fact that it’s been in place for over 200 years.
While I’m not going to say the election has been stolen, part of why is because there are just so many questions flying that it’s impossible to keep any of them straight. Some might be disinformation, but some aren’t, and that’s why the election needs to be investigated.
Otherwise, you get at least four years of the right returning the favor of #NotMyPresident and going on about stolen elections.
Now, Refuse Fascism says they’ll be holding a non-violent protest, but anyone who is going to the rally in D.C. needs to be ready for violence. Don’t start anything, but I suspect there will be violence.
I think the D.C. police suspect that as well.
D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has said the city is braced for reports that far-right demonstrators will be arriving en masse on Saturday.
“I huddled with my team this morning about an additional report of a caravan that might be starting somewhere in the south culminating here,” Bowser said on Tuesday.
“We continue to follow those activities and be prepared for those activities. Our police chief will have a similar posture this weekend as he did last week. We will be there to support peaceful exercise of First Amendment demonstrations.”
Bowser also warned that Washington does not have open carry gun laws and any protester seen with firearms would be dealt with by the police.
Of course, Bowser says this to frame people’s minds into believing the right are the ones who are looking to start stuff, despite the fact there still hasn’t been a right-leaning riot yet.
Besides, we all know Washington’s draconian gun laws. The only reason you can get a concealed carry permit there is because they were afraid the Supreme Court would kill May Issue permitting throughout the entire country. We all know that the city is gun hostile.
Bowser also likely knows that we realize that and had to make the statement to the press.
Let’s hope she also mentions laws against rioting to Refuse Fascism.