Monday night, Cam reported on the initial coverage of a shooting at Michigan State University. It’s been a few hours and the situation is still fluid. While our reporting right now will be based on the best information we have available, that information may change as the day continues.
As of this morning, the casualty count of three dead, five wounded hasn’t changed, though we do have a few more details.
MSU Deputy Police Chief Chris Rozman was blunt when he talked about the Michigan State University mass shooting that killed three and injured five.
“This truly has been a nightmare that we are living tonight,” Rozman said in talking with media late Monday, Feb. 13.
Here is what we know so far about the shooting:
1. Three people were killed and five injured. Police said a man entered Berkey Hall at about 8:18 p.m. and, at some point, began shooting.
Two people were killed at Berkey Hall before the man moved to the neighboring Union building, where one additional person was shot and killed.
The five injured people were seriously injured and described as in critical condition at Sparrow Hospital, MSU Deputy Chief Chris Rozman said.
Police haven’t said whether these were staff or students, though we have plenty of reason to figure they are one of the two categories.
Additionally, it seems they have a suspect, which they didn’t have last night, though he took his own life rather than be arrested.
2. The suspect, who police say took his own life after being confronted by an officer in Lansing, is a 43-year-old man.
Police did not give an exact location of the incident, but there was a heavy police presence at Lake Lansing Road and North Larch Street about 11:50 p.m. There also appeared to be a body under a covering along a sidewalk.
Police wanted to speak with the man because his appearance matched a surveillance image captured by an MSU surveillance camera.
Rozman said the man has no affiliation with MSU and is not a student, faculty member or staff.
“And we have no idea why he came to campus to do this tonight,” Rozman said. “It’s part of our ongoing investigation.”
Now, we can’t dismiss the possibility that this was not the shooter, that he was part of something else and thought he was being apprehended for that, but I don’t see that as a likely possibility.
Classes are canceled for today at Michigan State for what should be obvious reasons.
So where does that leave us this morning? Well, we know that Michigan State is a gun-free zone. We also know the suspected gunman wasn’t affiliated with the school, so it’s unlikely this was just some spur-of-the-moment decision that led to three people dying and maybe five more joining that number in the future. As such, it’s likely Michigan State was targeted because it was a gun-free zone.
That’s all just speculation, however. Right now, we simply don’t know enough to make any kind of policy recommendations.
In the days and weeks to come, we’ll see tons of new information and a pile of people making suggestions as to what we should do in response, regardless of what transpired. I suspect that by the time you’ve read this, President Joe Biden will have already renewed his repeated calls for an assault weapon ban.
However, this isn’t the time for that. It’s really not.
Right now, people in Michigan need to process what happened. Students at Michigan State need to heal, some far more than others.
It’s only too bad that we can’t let that happen and will instead have to deal with those who refuse to let a good crisis go to waste.