Police say an active shooter is dead and multiple people have been taken to local hospitals after a shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida early Friday morning.
#BREAKING: We are aware of reports of a possible active shooter at Naval Air Station Pensacola.
More information to follow.
— U.S. Navy (@USNavy) December 6, 2019
Initial media reports indicate at least one person was killed in the attack at the naval base.
The shooter has been confirmed dead, according to the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office.
Jason Bortz, the public affairs officer for Naval Air Station Pensacola, said reports of a shooting began at 6:30 a.m.
“Both gates of NASP are currently secured due to reports of an active shooter,” said a post on the station’s Facebook page. Escambia County Sheriff spokeswoman Amber Southland told NBC News an active shooter was on the base.
According to local news reports, the suspect was killed by law enforcement at the air base. There’s no word yet on whether or not the suspect was a member of the military or a civilian, but the shooting today is the second time this week that this type of violence has erupted on a military installation.
Earlier this week, a shooting at Pearl Harbor took the lives of two individuals before the suspect, identified as a 22-year old sailor, killed himself. In that case, authorities believe the sailor used his service weapons in the attack, but we still don’t have any information about the guns used in the attack in Pensacola.
Right now, NAS Pensacola is on lockdown while the investigation continues. Media reports indicate as many as nine individuals may have been injured in addition to the one known fatality, but we don’t know the extent of their injuries.
We’ll have more information here on Bearing Arms as it becomes available.