Utah Man Facing Charges After Pulling Gun On Trump Supporters

An Independence Day incident in rural Utah led to the loss of freedom for a 40-year old man arrested on a litany of charges after pulling a gun on a group of Trump supporters and firing several rounds. Police in Millard County were called out to Fillmore Canyon Saturday afternoon on reports of shots fired. When they arrived, they found the suspect had already fled the scene, but there were plenty of witnesses on hand to describe to officers exactly what happened.

According to a police affidavit, just before 6 p.m. on Saturday, Millard County sheriff’s deputies were called to Fillmore Canyon “on the report of a man with a gun pointing it at people and firing it.

“While speaking with 11 separate victims, it was identified that Omar had threatened five individuals including one juvenile by pulling a gun out of his waistband and pointing it at them, making statement about them having Trump flags on their four-wheeler and threatening the juvenile that he was going to come break into his house and kill his family,” the affidavit states.

Police say as they were arriving, Omar was already taking off in search of his wife, who had quickly left the area a short time earlier after he allegedly pointed the gun at her head and threatened to kill her, along with several other individuals.

“While confronting them, Omar pointed the gun at all of them, and began firing it out the window of his vehicle getting closer and closer to the victims before ceasing fire, getting out and pulling out what was described as an AR-type rifle and pointing it at them, before fleeing down the mountain.”

When authorities caught up with Omar a short time later, the guns were no longer in possession. Police believe he threw the firearms out the window of his car as he sped away from the canyon. A blood alcohol test administered to Omar at the Millard County jail came back with a result of .144, or nearly three times higher than the state’s DUI limit of .05.

While we don’t know the full extent of Omar’s previous criminal history, he is facing three counts of possession of a firearm by a restricted person, meaning he wasn’t legally allowed to own any of the guns he allegedly used to threaten his wife and the Trump supporters.

Omar is also facing felony charges of illegally carrying a concealed firearm, witness tampering, eleven counts of aggravated assault, and six counts of illegal discharge of a firearm. Additionally, Omar was charged with several misdemeanors, including threatening to use a weapon in a fight, two counts of evidence tampering, making a threat of violence, and intoxication.

All this because Omar was allegedly offended or upset over the Trump flags flying from the back of some ATV’s. I’m actually amazed that none of the victims in this incident were armed themselves (this is Utah we’re talking about, after all). Omar should count himself lucky to be in jail instead of in the hospital or the morgue, because any armed citizen would have been well within their rights to defend themselves once Omar began popping off rounds towards the group. Something tells me the next time these folks go four-wheeling in the canyon, they’ll be carrying some guns of their own in addition to their cell phones.