When we last heard from activist/self-promoter/congressional candidate Laura Loomer, she was delivering her concession speech after getting trounced in her long shot attempt to unseat Florida Democrat Lois Frankel in a heavily Democratic congressional district this past November.
Now Loomer’s back with a new crusade, asking folks to help her raise $20,000 to fund her effort to restore her legal right to keep and bear arms; which she says has been denied to her after she was placed on a “secret Federal ‘no-buy’ list maintained by the FBI.”
In a post on her website, Loomer showed a partially redacted letter that appears to be from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement regarding an application for a concealed carry license. The FDLE letter states that the non-approval was “based on a record(s) in the National Instant Check System,” and because of that record she’s not eligible to own or possess a firearm under federal law.
I learned during my campaign for Congress that despite the fact that I have never been charged or convicted of any crime whatsoever, my name had been placed on a secret Federal “no buy” list maintained by the FBI, which prohibited me from my legal right to buy a firearm.
My name landed on this secret “no buy” list shortly after I questioned the former FBI director James Comey at his first book signing event about a number of lies in his published memoir. I was acting entirely legally in my role as an investigative journalist and as an attendee of the event.
As a result, I’ve lost my rights to protect myself and my home.
But, with your help I WILL be getting my rights restored.
I’ve been sitting on this news for months while others helped me investigate and find out why I’ve been Red Flagged.
I’ve had the deepest background checks run against me . . . and I don’t even have a speeding ticket.
We’ve concluded the obvious . . . I had my 2nd Amendment Rights stripped due to my political views and activism.
I’ve got great news for Loomer, as well as anyone else who’s thinking cutting her a check to help her get her rights back. As it turns out, Loomer has the ability to learn why she’s a prohibited person free of charge. In fact, there are a couple of ways she can go about it.
First, she can can “obtain a copy (for a fee) of any identification record the FBI may maintain” on her “by contacting the following unit at the address and telephone number provided:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Attention: Summary Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
Telephone Number: (304) 625-5590
Now, I’m not sure how much that undisclosed fee would be, but I bet it’s a lot less than $20,000. In fact, it’s probably reasonable enough that she wouldn’t have to raise a penny to fund her inquiry.
Another option would be to try to buy a gun from a federally licensed retailer, and if the NICS check comes back as “denied” she can then file an appeal. According to the FBI:
This process will provide you:
- the reason your background check was denied, and
- the opportunity to challenge your denied background check online – including a Nuclear Regulatory Commission background check.
Of course, an overzealous prosecutor could try to claim that Loomer violated federal law by trying to buy a gun knowing she was considered a prohibited persons, but prosecutions are rare and I’m sure she’d love the publicity it would bring.
Under federal law, there are several reasons why an individual would lose their right to keep and bear arms:
- A person who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year or any state offense classified by the state as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of more than two years.
- Persons who are fugitives from justice.
- An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year; or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.
- A person adjudicated mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including dispositions to criminal charges of found not guilty by reason of insanity or found incompetent to stand trial.
- A person who, being an alien, is illegally or unlawfully in the United States.
- A person who, being an alien except as provided in subsection (y) (2), has been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa.
- A person dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
- A person who has renounced United States citizenship.
- The subject of a protective order issued after a hearing in which the respondent had notice that restrains them from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such partner. This does not include ex parte orders.
- A person convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime which includes the use or attempted use of physical force or threatened use of a deadly weapon and the defendant was the spouse, former spouse, parent, guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited in the past with the victim as a spouse, parent, guardian or similar situation to a spouse, parent or guardian of the victim.
- A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.
Note that “We don’t like your politics/what you said about our former boss” is not on the list.
Now, NICS has been known to erroneously flag individuals who aren’t prohibited. In fact, Dr. John Lott has estimated that as much as 99% of the NICS denials in any given year are false positives. It may be that is what’s going on with Loomer’s case. It’s certainly much more likely to be an error than the creation of a secret “no-buy” list established by the FBI in violation of federal law.
I’m also curious as to why Loomer didn’t bring this up publicly during her campaign, since she says that’s when she learned that NICS was classifying her as ineligible to legally own a gun. You’d think she would brought that up as an example of the need to drain the swamp and clean up corruption instead of waiting several months to make mention of it, but she never does.
Instead, she claims that if the FBI can put her on some sort of secret no-buy list, you could be next (which is why you need to send her money).
That’s why it’s so important to challenge this now, because I’m confident that I can have the Red Flag removed and publish the information and document the process so that others who will soon be targeted by the Democrat Party for their conservative political views can do the same when this happens to them.
To cover legal expenses, and retain a top 2nd Amendment Attorney to restore my gun rights and prevent this from happening to you through a national Second Amendment issue advocacy campaign, I need your help to raise $20,000.
Before anyone sends a dime to Laura Loomer to help her raise $20,000 for her proposed (or supposed) lawsuit, let her work through the process of actually getting an answer from NICS as to why she’s being denied. It may take a few more weeks to get a response, but they’re bound by law to give her the reason without charging any fees. And honestly, if the NICS response even hints at abuse of government power and an illegal secret list of prohibited persons, Loomer would have little trouble finding pro-bono representation within the 2A community anyway.
Keep your money, or better yet, send a few bucks to a Second Amendment organization that’s already engaging in legal challenges to strengthen our right to keep and bear arms instead of what really looks like an attempt to grift off of the legitimate concerns of gun owners at a time when a sizeable portion of the Left truly does want to treat half of the country as if they’re members of Y’all Qaeda instead of their fellow citizens.