Last Monday, we asked our readers, “What’s the one thing you want non-gun owners to know?”
In 2012, back when CNN had credibility and an audience, they published an article titled 5 Things Gun Owners Want You to Know following the shooting at an Aurora, CO movie theater screening of the then-new Batman film.
Claiming to have received over 400 iReports from gun owners, they reported “an American pastime, a way to feed and protect families, and a way of life” were just a few of the responses gun owners used to describe “their relationship with firearms and the powerful emotions that stir up when they talk about them”.
But we want to hear from you.
As the conversation around gun control continues to create a national impasse, what do you have to say?
What’s the one thing you’d like non-gun owners to know?
As expected, since our readers and fans are awesome and outspoken, the response was tremendous!
We went through the more than 1,000 responses across our social platforms to find the most popular, most liked comments to compile the top ten things to impress upon U.S. citizens who do not own guns and may not know about gun owners.
Without further ado, HERE are the Top Ten Things Gun Owners Want Non-Gun Owners to Know!
10. Even though you look at us as dangerous, trigger-happy rednecks, we will still stand and defend you against any enemy both foreign and domestic. Legal, law abiding and trained gun owners do not and will not use our weapons to hurt any innocent person.
Can you imagine? There’s a deadly threat in your local gas station and you’re on site, armed and able to stop the threat. Are you going to ask everyone in the building whether or not they support gun rights and armed citizens?
NO, you’re just going to spring into action and save every person you can – regardless of their feelings toward you, the Second Amendment, gun rights, or their political affiliation.
9. A gun is a tool, no different than a hammer or a screwdriver. Its use is solely dependent upon the person using it. Nobody needs a gun to kill, they just need a reason.
This is 100% dead on. Period.
8. As a law abiding citizen who owns firearms it’s not me you have to worry about, it is the ones who break the laws you must worry about.
It’s sad that so many within the gun control agenda refuse to acknowledge the fact that criminals, by definition, do not follow gun laws. Criminals don’t care if they’re breaking one or one hundred laws, they’ll break as many as they need to in order to commit a crime.
7. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Really think about that fact – if your choices are a) have to stand trial for shooting someone in self-defense or b) have six of your loved ones serve as pall bearers, which one would you pick?
6. No one in the history of mankind has ever been killed by a gun!
Okay, this comment and its ensuing responses cracked me up, but it’s TRUE. A gun doesn’t just randomly jump up and fire, you have to add a person into the equation for that gun to do anything.
5. Carrying a gun is not something that is flaunted by most people. You’d be surprised by the number of concealed owners you come in contact with and don’t even know it.
That’s right! Gun control advocates have no idea how many times they actually interact with law-abiding citizens who are carrying a loaded firearm for protection.
4. We are not crazy rednecks who love shoot stuff up. We are 2nd Amendment loving Americas and that we own our guns and pray we never need them.
The fact is, none of us put a gun into a holster and on our person each day and think, “I can’t wait to use this, I hope I get to shoot someone today!” We’re trained to respond to a threat to our lives or the safety of those around us, but we’d rather not have to use lethal force unless absolutely necessary.
3. Criminals are stopped by legally armed, rational citizens every single day. The “good guy/gal with a gun” is not a myth, they’re real and they’re growing in numbers.
We cover stories of defensive gun use every single day here on Bearing Arms so we know this is 100% true.
2. You may not like or want guns and choose not to own one; that is your right. You may not believe in God and choose not to pray to Him; that is your choice, too. But when the shit hits the fan, you’re going to two two things; call someone with a gun and pray they get there in time.
If only everyone would take this comment to heart.
And the number one thing gun owners want non-gun owners do know is:
1. I would rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it.
This… a thousand times over.