Liberal and rotund documentary film producer Michael Moore has his anti-Second Amendment bonafides etched in stone. There’s no doubt he has an issue with peons like us being armed. However, that doesn’t mean he won’t keep talking about how much we should be disarmed in the least.
However, unlike most gun grabbers, he does seem to grasp that the Second Amendment prevents his dream world from coming to fruition. To that end, he’s made his own proposal to replace the Second Amendment.
My Proposal to Repeal the Second Amendment and Replace It With This:
PROPOSED 28th AMENDMENT TO THE US CONSTITUTION
“A well regulated State National Guard, being helpful to the safety and security of a State in times of need, along with the strictly regulated right of the people to keep and bear a limited number of non-automatic Arms for sport and hunting, with respect to the primary right of all people to be free from gun violence, this shall not be infringed.”
I, Michael Moore, along with all who support an end to this epidemic of gun violence, propose a new Amendment to our Constitution that repeals the ancient and outdated 2nd Amendment (which was written before bullets and revolvers were even invented), and replaces it with a new 28th Amendment that guarantees States can have State militias (a.k.a. State National Guards which are made up of citizen-soldiers who are called upon in times of natural disasters or other State emergencies), allows individuals to use guns for sport and gathering food, and guarantees everyone the right to be free of, and protected from, gun violence (i.e., the public’s safety comes ahead of an individual’s right to own and fire a gun).
This amendment would allow states and the federal government to pass laws that would regulate gun ownership in the following manner:
• As over 90% of gun violence is committed by men, in order for a man to purchase a gun, he must first get a waiver from his current wife, plus his most recent ex-wife, or any woman with whom he is currently in a relationship (if he’s gay, he must get the waiver from his male spouse/partner). This law has greatly reduced most spousal/domestic gun murders in Canada.
• All automatic and semi-automatic guns are banned.
• No gun or clip can hold more than 6 bullets.
• To activate a gun for it to be used, the trigger must recognize the fingerprint of its registered owner. This will eliminate most crimes committed with a gun as 80% of these crimes are done with a stolen gun.
• One’s guns must be stored at a licensed gun club or government-regulated gun storage facility. Believing that having a gun in your home provides you with protection is an American myth. People who die from a home invasion make up a sad but minuscule .04% of all gun murders in the US. And over a third of them are killed by their own gun that the criminal has either stolen or wrestled from them.
• To own and operate a gun one must obtain a license (like one does to operate a car). To get a license you have to complete a gun training and safety course and pass a thorough background check.
• As nearly half of all gun deaths are suicides, mental health care must become a top national health priority and must be properly funded. And by making it more difficult to purchase a gun – and requiring its storage outside the home – easy access during a suicidal moment is denied.
• Current restrictions placed on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), due to successful lobbying by the NRA, have prohibited them from studying the gun violence epidemic in the US. These rules need to be removed and the funding restored. Science will then be free to find out why we are ALONE among nations in killing each other at such a massive rate (hint: It’s not just the guns – it’s us as Americans).
These are a few of the regulations that can be enacted to both protect society yet not deny hunters and sportsmen their fun. This is the sane approach that meets everyone’s needs — everyone, that is, except those of the serial killer, the mass murderer, the violent ex-husband, the disgruntled employee or the disturbed and bullied teenager. We will never eliminate all murder; that’s been with us since Cain killed Abel. But we CAN join the community of enlightened nations where gun violence is that rare occurrence — as opposed to the daily tragedy we now suffer here in the United States of America. This can come to an end with the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and replacing it with the 28th Amendment.
For those who believe it will be impossible to do this, let me close by sharing with you two important facts that should give us hope:
1. We are not a country of gun nuts. 77% of all Americans do NOT own a gun! If three-quarters of the country has decided they have no need for a gun, three-quarters of the country may also decide they have no need for an archaic amendment that allows retired accountants to own 47 assault weapons. LET’S ORGANIZE THE 77%!
2. When President Obama tried to get Congress to pass simple, common sense gun control legislation after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, polls showed 90% of the country backed him! But the NRA beat him. LET’S ORGANIZE THE 90%!
We can start with the upcoming midterm election. Let every candidate know: If you take NRA money, we will
remove you from office.
Then do it.
So…yeah. That happened.
Oh, where to start.
I guess we’ll begin with the fact that his phrasing is beyond idiotic. The National Guard is funded by the federal government. It’s their entity, so it has no bearing on the individual and their right to keep and bear arms and never has.
Second, the “right to be free from gun violence” is a lofty idea, but you’re an absolute idiot if you think a gun ban would actually keep people free from gun violence. Look at Australia, with their incredibly strict gun laws. They have gun violence too. Disarming the public will never and has never rid the world of gun violence. It simply makes it easier for criminals to find unarmed victims.
For the most part, I won’t get into the inane proposals for gun laws he’s laid out, though I do want to take a swipe at this one:
As over 90% of gun violence is committed by men, in order for a man to purchase a gun, he must first get a waiver from his current wife, plus his most recent ex-wife, or any woman with whom he is currently in a relationship (if he’s gay, he must get the waiver from his male spouse/partner). This law has greatly reduced most spousal/domestic gun murders in Canada.
The only reference I can find to a somewhat similar proposal is a bill from the state of Kentucky last year that was filed not to actually become law, but to try and make a point about women’s issues. And it was about Viagra, not guns. I’ve been able to find absolutely no law in Canada which means, once again, Moore is talking out of his rather large posterior.
Besides which, such a law would be found unconstitutional even without the Second Amendment’s protection do to the Equal Protection clause. You can’t make a law like that which applies to men but not to women. That doesn’t even touch on the lack of ability to enforce it.
“Are you in a relationship with anyone?”
Over and done with. No need for permission from anyone. Boom.
The fact is that Moore’s histrionics are just the typical anti-gun claptrap we hear from the usual suspects. They have all these proposals, none of which would have stopped the Las Vegas shooter or much of anyone else, all while claiming the NRA’s money is all that’s preventing Utopia.
The NRA’s power isn’t in money, but the millions upon millions of people who are members.
But considering the number of bogus “facts” Moore presents in his diatribe, it’s hardly surprising he got that one screwed up too.