Earlier today I mentioned an example of a logical firearms training progression.
Everyone has differing views on what “competence” means, but I think most people would benefit from a combination of:
- basic firearms safety training
- defensive handgun training on the square range focused on firearm manipulation and marksmanship
- life-fire scenario training against stationary targets/shoot-house training
- force-on-force training with airsoft guns or man-marker rounds
- frequent dry-firing and drawing practice
What I didn’t do at the time was provide an example of what force-on-force training looks like.
Youtuber Jason McClaran posted a video of scenario training provided by Shoot Don’t Shoot of Trenton, Michigan that gives you a pretty good example of what this sort of training might look like.