Student Editorial Calls For Repeal of Second Amendment

College is supposed to be a time when you hone your critical thinking skills; when you learn about new ideas and new ways of thinking about the world. It’s a time when you begin to think and process information like an adult.

That’s what it used to be, anyway.

Today, it’s just another place people are inundated with Leftist ideas. It’s not just the professors who do it, but even student communication groups like student newspapers join in the misinformation, especially when it comes to guns.

Take the Hofstra student paper, for example.

Besides quoting the erroneous claim that there have been 307 mass shootings–those numbers include things like gang warfare and other such killings that meet the numerical threshold but don’t fit what people perceive as “mass shootings”–they go on to say this:

Gun control, for some reason, still remains a controversial topic in the United States. What people refuse to acknowledge is that it’s become an epidemic. Because people can’t feel safe going to concerts (Las Vegas), can’t feel safe going to movies (Denver), can’t feel safe going to work (YouTube, California, Capital Gazette, etc.), can’t feel safe going to schools (Parkland, Virginia Tech, Columbine, etc.), can’t feel safe going to bars (Pulse, Thousand Oaks) and can’t even feel safe going to religious services (Pittsburgh, Sutherland Springs). Yes, I understand people argue that the Second Amendment, which states, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed,” is untouchable and indispensable, but last time I checked, the country that boasts the largest army in the world no longer has any need to form a “well regulated militia.” As well as this – have we forgotten what “amend” even means? Change.

No, we haven’t forgotten what amend means.

Clearly, the writer either forgot what the Bill of Rights represents or no one ever taught it to them. In this day and age, it’s probably the latter.

The Bill of Rights was created to protect the rights of Americans from a government that would enforce its own will on the people. It’s an insurance policy against tyranny. Each of those first ten amendments was designed specifically to limit the government’s power so that the people could hold the government in check.

It doesn’t grant anything.

But there’s something very wrong with the kind of people who can hold President Trump up as a tyrant and dictator in the making while simultaneously arguing that because we have a standing army, the citizenry doesn’t need guns. You don’t get it both ways. You don’t get to pretend that the president is the ultimate threat to liberty, so much of a threat that students need therapy just because he was elected, and then pretend that we don’t need to defend our liberty with guns.

The very thinking is insane.

Then again, when you feel horribly unsafe everywhere you go and don’t try to take steps to make yourself safe that don’t involve the irrational desire to disarm your fellow citizens, I’m not sure you’re someone who has ever learned to think for yourself.

In other words, it looks like college has failed this writer. I hope they can get their money back.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member